Teriyaki tofu sushi rice bowl
One of our favourite recipes - bursting with flavour and freshness! Deceptively filling, this vegan tofu bowl makes a brilliant lunch or dinner. Serves 2.
Teriyaki tofu Bowl
1 block firm tofu 150g sushi rice
2 tbsp cornflour 6 radishes
15g fresh root ginger 1/2 red pepper
1 garlic clove Handful coriander
25g agave nectar 100g edamame beans
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil 1 avocado
2 tbsp soy sauce 1 spring onion
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1 tsp sugar
1. Make sushi according to packet instructions and set aside.
2. Slice the radishes, red pepper, spring onion and avocado whilst the sushi is cooking and set aside.
3. Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger. Heat a tsp of sesame oil in a wide based pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add the soy sauce, mirin, Chinese rice wine, agave nectar and sugar and cook for 1-2 mins until it starts to thicken. Set aside your teriyaki sauce.
4. Drain the tofu and cut into 2cm squares. Dry the squares using kitchen towel. Press each tofu square into the cornflour ensuring each is coated. Fry the tofu in sesame oil until golden.
5. Turn down to a low heat and add the teriyaki sauce. Coat all the tofu with the sauce and let it thicken slightly.
6. Put your sushi rice in your bowl and add your fresh vegetables and the teriyaki tofu as desired.